8 Signs You Need To Call An Emergency Electrician | Wilmington, NC

8 Signs You Need To Call An Emergency Electrician | Wilmington, NC

Electricity is a significant part of our daily lives, but it also has the potential to cause harm and damage property when mishandled. Poor wiring and faulty appliances are some of the major factors that can cause electric failures at home. Some electrical faults may seem minor, but the situation can quickly worsen if you attempt to fix them without the right tools and skills. We consider any electric issue that increases the risks of electrocution, fire outbreak, or injury as an emergency. Such issues require immediate professional attention. Here are some indicators that you need to call an emergency electrician as soon as possible.

Flickering Lights

If several light fixtures in your Wilmington, NC home start to flicker, it indicates a more serious problem in the electrical system. Lights flickering could be due to voltage fluctuations or loose wiring. When a bulb loosens, it causes an insufficient power supply, causing a flickering effect. If ignored, a loose connection at any part of the electrical system can lead to electrocution or electrical fire. If your lights start to flicker once you turn on an appliance, it could be due to an overloaded circuit. Contact an emergency electrician to ascertain the exact cause of the problem and provide a lasting solution to prevent reoccurrence.

Burning Smell

A burning smell in your house is a serious indication of a life-threatening electrical issue that needs immediate attention from an emergency electrician. Once electric wires overheat, the insulation melts, releasing a burning plastic smell. Problems like overloaded circuits, improperly installed outlets, damaged wiring, and foreign objects in the electrical box can cause a burning smell. It’s terrifying how quickly an electric fire can spread, so shut off the main power supply switch to your house once you notice a burning smell and call an emergency electrician. Do not try to investigate the cause of the problem. Touching outlets and faulty appliances will expose you to electrocution or injury risks.

Humming or Buzzing Noise

Call an emergency electrician if you hear unusual noises from the electric system. A defective circuit breaker might not shut off when there is too much voltage, which could overload the circuit and cause a buzzing sound. Electrical wiring may also produce unusual sounds when improperly grounded.

Sparkling Electrical Outlets

When connecting a plug to an outlet, you have probably seen a tiny spark in your Wilmington, NC home. This might happen when you quickly plug in or turn on an appliance, and a rapid power draw occurs, which is normal. Sometimes a sparkle may occur due to a potentially dangerous underlying problem. A short circuit may cause heat to build up in an electric outlet which melts the wire insulation. When you plug in an appliance in such an outlet, the electricity on the exposed wires may get to the wrong areas causing a severe spark. If you live in an older house or have old appliances, the wires will wear off over time, increasing the risk of short circuits that result in long sparks. Improper electric system installation or poor repairs may cause an outlet to spark. Call an emergency electrician if the spark lasts longer than a second, if you see noticeably large sparks, or notice yellow or white sparks followed by a melting plastic smell.

Frequently Tripping Circuit Breaker

A circuit breaker trips if excessive electrical current moves through a circuit to protect your home from electrical damage. If the circuit breaker trips too often, it indicates a more serious problem in the electrical system, so call an electrician to diagnose the problem. The circuit breaker may trip if you run too many appliances simultaneously, requiring a greater electrical demand than the circuit can produce. In case of a short circuit that creates too much heat, the circuit breaker may trip to prevent a fire outbreak. Ground faults trigger the circuit breaker to trip.

Outlets and Switches Feel Warm

If your sockets or outlets feel hot, they pose a potential hazard, so call a professional electrician to inspect the system. Plugging multiple electrical cords into an outlet may make it overheat. Fraying cords and damaged prongs may cause an outlet to overheat and expose you to the risk of electrocution. If you have several heavy-duty appliances, they might strain your system, causing outlets to overheat. You will need a licensed emergency electrician to upgrade your electrical outlets and rewire the circuits.

Water Damage

When water comes into contact with electrical wires, it can lead to a short circuit and cause electrical shock. Water conducts electricity, and when it comes into contact with exposed wires, it creates an electrical short that can lead to a fire. You might need to replace the wiring if the electrical components remain submerged in water for over 24 hours. Once the moisture runs into internal wiring, it could lead to corrosion and further damage. Given the dangers associated with mixing water and electricity, it’s essential that you call an emergency electrician to assess your electric system after a flood or major leak.

Old Home

If you live in an old home, there is a higher chance that you have an unsafe electrical system, so have a licensed electrician inspect it as soon as possible. Older homes’ electric grids may not have sufficient power to support modern appliances. This will lead to an overload. Natural wear, pets and rodents, and moisture can destroy wiring insulation, increasing the risks of electrocution and fire outbreaks in older homes. Other dangerous electrical problems in older homes include improper grounding, knob and tube wiring, and dead outlets. Have an emergency electrician upgrade the old electrical system to improve the house’s efficiency and safety.

Hire a Professional to Fix All Your Electrical Issues

Always be on the lookout for emergency electrical faults and notify your technicians immediately to protect your property and its occupants. If you feel something is amiss in your electrical system, contact Mister Sparky of Wilmington for professional assistance. We provide 24/7 emergency services in Wilmington, NC, and the surrounding areas. Call us today to schedule an appointment.

Photo By WhiteBarbie at Shutterstock