9 Signs That You Should Call An Electrician Immediately | Wilmington, NC

9 Signs That You Should Call An Electrician Immediately | Wilmington, NC

Photo By Goritza at Shutterstock

The electrical system in your home is very complex. Also, working with electricity is very dangerous if you don’t know what you are doing. If you are having any issues with your electrical system, you should never try to make the repairs yourself. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, there are around 51,000 electrical fires every year, causing nearly 500 deaths and 1,400 injuries. Many of these fires can be prevented if homeowners know how to spot an electrical issue so they can call a licensed electrician. Some could have been prevented if the homeowners had called a professional rather than trying to make the repair themselves.

If you are experiencing any of the following issues in your home, you should call a licensed professional immediately.

#1 Circuit Breaker Issues

If you find that your circuit breaker is frequently tripping, you could have too many appliances plugging into one circuit. Before calling an electrician, you should try unplugging a few appliances to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn’t, you should call a licensed electrician. There could be an issue with the breaker box that puts your home at great risk for an electrical fire. The problem could also be that your circuit breaker is not powerful enough to handle your home’s electrical use. This would require an upgrade to the circuit breaker, which should only be handled by a licensed professional.

#2 A Switch Plate Or Outlet Cover Is Hot

The outlet covers and switch plates in your home should never be hot to the touch. If they are, you should call a licensed electrician immediately. The heat is a sign of a serious wiring issue. If you allow the problem to persist, a fire can start behind the wall, which can leave your home completely engulfed in flames within minutes.

#3 Rust Or Water Damage Around An Outlet

Everyone knows that water and electricity don’t mix. This is why you get out of the pool during a thunderstorm, and you don’t take a bath with a radio resting on the edge of the tub.

If there is rust or water damage around an outlet, you should call an electrician right away. A professional will inspect the outlet, and they will determine where the water is coming from. When the entry point has been identified and repaired, the professional will ensure that the wiring is safe for you to continue using the outlet.

#4 Flickering Lights

Most people don’t worry too much if the lights flicker when they turn on an appliance. This is a mistake. If the lights start to flicker, it is a good sign that there is an overload in your electrical system. You can stop using the appliance that causes the lights to flicker, but this isn’t the most convenient option. If you hire a licensed electrician, they will be able to figure out what is causing the overload and make the necessary repairs.

#5 A Light Or Outlet Doesn’t Work

If you recently purchased your Wilmington, NC home and there is a light or outlet that does nothing, the safest thing you can do is call a professional to check it out. It could turn out that the builder installed the light or outlet for future use, but it could also be something more serious. If the previous homeowner tried a DIY electrical repair and detached the wiring, it could result in an electrical fire.

To be on the safe side, you should hire a professional to inspect the wiring to ensure it is safe.

#6 You Get Shocked When Touching a Light Switch Or An Outlet

It is not uncommon to get a shock when you rub your feet on a carpet. This is simply static electricity, which is harmless. If you find that you are getting shocked every time you touch an outlet or light switch, you should call an electrician. There could be an issue with the wiring, which can pose a serious fire hazard. The sooner you call a professional, the safer your home and family will be.

#7 Buzzing Behind the Walls

If you hear a faint buzzing sound coming from behind the walls, it probably isn’t a bee infestation. You likely have an electrical issue that can cause an electrical fire. It is best that you call a professional as soon as you hear the sound. They will inspect your home’s wiring to find the problem’s source and make the necessary repairs.

#8 You Don’t Have Enough 3-Prong Outlets

Many older homes were built with 2-prong outlets, which isn’t very convenient today. Most modern appliances are designed with 3-prong plugs, and the third prong is designed to ground the appliance, which will prevent damage during a power surge and an electrical fire. If your home was built with mostly 2-prong outlets, using extension cords or breaking off the third prong on the appliance is a big mistake. It is best to hire an electrician to upgrade your electrical system with 3-prong outlets.

#9 You Rely On Extension Cords

Extension cords are designed for temporary use only. If you live in an older home in Wilmington, NC, and there aren’t enough outlets for your electrical needs, you should call an electrician. Running extension cords around the house might seem like the most convenient option, but it isn’t the safest. Running extension cords can create a tripping and falling hazard, and it can overload your electrical system. The safest option is to hire a professional to upgrade your electrical system and add new outlets.

Why Choose Mister Sparky Of Wilmington?

If you are having any electrical issues in your home, schedule an appointment with Mister Sparky of Wilmington. We have been serving residential and business customers for many years and have an excellent reputation within the community. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and have been Top Rated and Screen and Approved by Home Advisor. In 2017, we won Angie’s List Super Service Award. Our previous customers are very satisfied with our service, which is why we have a 5-star rating on Google.

To schedule an appointment for electrical service, give us a call today.