Need An Electrician? Everything You Need To Know About Electric Shocks | Wilmington, NC

Need An Electrician? Everything You Need To Know About Electric Shocks | Wilmington, NC

Photo By wakila at istock

The invention of electricity has changed our lives, in modern times people have started to take their electrical system for granted. As a homeowner, it’s important to have an electrician keep your electrical system in good working order so that your family remains safe. You may have experienced a small shock before, or even touched an electric fence, but would you know what to do if there was a real electrical emergency.

If you live in Wilmington, NC, or the surrounding area and are looking for an electrician, don’t hesitate to contact Mister Sparky. The company is available for electrical installation and can repair any faults in your system. If you’ve felt an electric shock, however small, it’s important to call in an electrician.

This article will look at what exactly an electric shock is and the symptoms of an electric shock. We’ll also tell you what to do if someone you know has suffered from an electric shock.

What is an electric shock?

An electric shock can be caused by several electrical items, including power lines, faulty lighting or household appliances, electrical outlets, or even lightning. They can also be caused in the workplace by electrical machinery or weapons such as tasers. During an electric shock, an electric current passes through the body of the victim, causing burning.

Electric shocks cause damage to the victim’s body and can burn both the internal and external tissue. In the worst-case, an electric shock can cause organ damage and, in many cases, will prove to be fatal.

Electric shocks vary in their severity; shocks from a household appliance are likely to be less severe than a lightning strike or shock from a power line. However, electric shocks in the home can also be serious. You should always take electrical safety in the home seriously. It’s also a good idea to have an electrician childproof your home as electric shocks can be more serious if a child chews on an electric cord. Water and electricity don’t mix and create a much worse electric shock.

There are many things that will determine how severe an electric shock will be, including the source of the shock. Factors such as the voltage and type of current, the length of time the victim has been in contact with the source, as well as the person’s overall health. During an electric shock, electricity will create a path through the victim’s body and cause internal damage.

What to do during an electric shock

If you witness someone getting an electric shock, you should call for medical help immediately. Sometimes the person will appear fine, but it’s best that they are checked over in the emergency room as internal damage is possible. A doctor will be able to perform a thorough examination which will detect any problems. Electric shock symptoms will vary and will depend on how bad the shock has been. Symptoms can include a loss of consciousness and muscle spasms in the worse cases. Other victims of electric shock have reported feeling numbness or tingling in their bodies and have suffered from breathing issues, headaches, and problems with eyesight and hearing after the event. Electric shocks can also cause burns, seizures, and an irregular heartbeat.

What to do if you’ve suffered an electric shock

If you’ve been unlucky enough to have received an electric shock in your home. There are a few things that you should do. If the shock is severe, you should let go of the source as soon as possible. Don’t touch anyone else as the electric current will be passed to other people if it’s severe enough. Instead, touch something that’s rubber to diffuse the electricity.

If possible, you should stay where you are and get another person to call an ambulance. If you’re on your own, call out for assistance.

In many instances, the shock suffered will be minor. If this is the case, you’ll still need to be checked out by a doctor as soon as possible. Go to the doctor even if you feel ok and haven’t suffered from any noticeable symptoms. Electric shocks can cause internal injuries, so it’s important to get checked out.

While waiting for the doctor to arrive, you can cover any burns sustained with a sterile gauze. Don’t stick adhesive bandages to your woods, as these may be hard to remove.

What to do if someone else has suffered an electric shock

If you’re with someone when they have an electric shock, it’s important to act fast, especially in severe shock cases. Don’t touch the person, especially if they are still in contact with the electricity source. Use a non-conducting material such as wood or rubber to move the electrical source away from the victim.

Leave the person exactly where they are and call 911, don’t try to move them. Turn off the electricity source at the mains if possible. If the person is suffering from symptoms such as vomiting, dizziness, or has become pale, you can elevate their feet.

Cover any burns with a sterile gauze and keep the person warm until emergency help arrives.

Avoid electric shocks

Ensure that your home or workspace is safe by having an electrician keep your electrical system in good working order. The following tips may help:

  • Book an electrician to service your electrical system
  • Teach kids not to put their fingers into electric sockets.
  • Keep cable out of the way of young children and put covers over the outlets.
  • Have household appliances serviced regularly
  • Keep away from powerlines.
  • Avoid going outside during an electrical storm.

Mister Sparky, Electrician

If you live in Wilmington, NC, and require an electrician, you may like to contact Mister Sparky. The company can install electrics into new builds, replace faulty power sockets, and maintain electrical systems. They are also equipped to deal with all types of electrical emergencies and are available for 24/7 call out.

Mister Sparky is a BBB accredited business that employs highly qualified staff who keep up to date with current technologies. They offer excellent value for money and friendly customer service.

Contact an electrician today on 843-213-6610 for a free no obligations quote.