Need An Emergency Electrician? Signs Of Electrical Circuit Overloads In Homes | Wilmington, NC

Need An Emergency Electrician? Signs Of Electrical Circuit Overloads In Homes | Wilmington, NC

Photo By BanksPhotos at istock

Households in Wilmington, NC, depend on electricity for entertainment, cooking, temperature-related comfort, comfortable bathing, lighting, heating, and refrigeration.

The heavy reliance on electric power to run most appliances, including electronics, computers, and air conditioning and heating systems, increases the probability of electrical problems, hence the need for an emergency electrician. Some of the common electrical emergencies include circuit overloads and short circuits, and they can cause catastrophic home fires.

Circuit overload happens when the appliances in your home draw more electricity that exceeds the capacity it can manage and handle. The circuits include wiring or cables, breakers, and fuses. Appliances and lighting fixtures that need electricity to operate smoothly also form part of the circuit that’s connected to a power outlet.

Homes should have a 200-amp panel with the main breaker to prevent issues relating to circuit overloads. You should know the indications of electrical circuit overload promptly get an emergency electrician to prevent electrical mishaps, which include:

Tripping Circuit Breaker

The first visible sign of a circuit overload in a home is a tripping circuit breaker. A circuit breaker resembles an ordinary service switch with a handle to shut off the power or turn it on. If the appliances in your Wilmington, NC, home lead to a circuit overload, the breaker trips and breaks the circuit, averting the possibility of a disastrous electrical fire.

The circuit breaker can fail to trip and turn off the power when the overload lasts for a short period. It breaks the circuit in most prolonged overloads of 100-ampere or more, thus protecting your home. With that in mind, you should call an electrician when you see the breaker tripping since it’s evident there’s a prolonged circuit overload.

The technician will locate the problem and fix it before restoring the power in your home. If your home does not have a circuit breaker, an overload will lead to cable overheating, thus melting the cable insulation and causing an electrical fire. For that reason, you should get an emergency electrician to install the circuit breakers to avert catastrophic electrical accidents that can lead to burn injuries, death, and property destruction.

Dimming Lights

When you notice dimming lights in your home, it is an indicator of a circuit overload. You should contact an electrician to diagnose the reason behind the dimming light. Some of the frequent causes of dim lights in households include overloaded circuits, a defective power grid, old light bulbs, loose neutral wires at the main breakers, and corroded wires.

So, having the emergency electrician carry out wire inspections to identify and diagnose the actual cause of the dimming lights is appropriate. The technician will check the number of appliances operating in the circuit connected to the light bulbs. In 2019, out of the 354, 400 residential fires in the United States, 2.9 percent were due to appliance defects.

Turning off some of the electrical gadgets might restore the brightness of the bulbs. If the problem identified is an overloading current, the electrician should advise placing the larger electric devices and equipment on a different dedicated circuit.

Buzzing Power Outlets and Switches

Another sign of a circuit overload is the buzzing sound coming out of the power outlets and switches. Outlets such as sockets and plugs allow you to connect your appliances and electronics to a power grid. The buzzing receptacle outlets or switches are an urgent electrical problem that requires the immediate services of an emergency electrician.

You should not ignore any sounds from electrical devices because they might be a cause of concern. It is wise to stop using the buzzing electrical sockets and wall plugs until a certified electrician fixes the issue.

Other causes of the buzzing sounds in the outlets or switches include a loose wire, poor installation, and an improperly grounded wire, which are equally dangerous in homes. The issues most likely cause a reversed polarity, leading to nasty electrical shocks.

Electrical Burning Odors

If you realize a burning smell coming from any electrical outlet, switch, or appliance, know that you have a serious electrical problem in your hands. The burning odor is an indication that the circuit is overloaded. It is a sign that requires an urgent response from a trained and experienced emergency electrician to identify the issue, diagnose it, and rectify it. You should avoid switching on the appliance, socket, or switch emitting the burning electrical smell.

Warm Switches and Outlets

Warm cords, switches, sockets, and wall plates are also a sign of electrical system overload. When the outlets are warm to touch, you should not hesitate to contact a nearby electrical company to get an emergency electrician as soon as possible. The overloading outlets might cause unimaginable electrical disasters if you continue using them. So, having the electrician check the warming cords, sockets, and appliances in your home to identify the problem and repair it, will save you and your property.

Scorched or Melted Outlets

If you notice that one of your electrical outlets or plugs is scorched or melted, it is a frustrating issue that calls for immediate attention from an emergency electrician. You should avoid using the socket or plug until the problem is identified and properly rectified for safety purposes. There are various causes of the melted or scorched outlets and switches, the top among them is circuit overload. Burnt outlets are a sign that you are overloading your circuit, threatening your family and house in Wilmington, NC.

The melting plugs and sockets are frequent in older houses, which were built when the number of appliances in homes was fewer. Another cause of the scorched sockets and plugs might be poor installation and damaged wiring. The burning odor from the melting appliances and outlets should compel you to promptly switch off the outlets and call a licensed emergency electrician to fix the overloading circuit issue.

Call Us Today For Professional Electrical Services!

Electricity is one of the essential resources in homes and at the same time poses a high risk of fire hazards that will destroy property and human life. The moment you notice electrical signs of an overloaded circuit in your home, you should call Mister Sparky of Wilmington.