Regular Electrical Services Can Expose Problems That Could Cause A House Fire | Wilmington, NC

Regular Electrical Services Can Expose Problems That Could Cause A House Fire | Wilmington, NC

It’s no secret that house fires can cause a lot of damage. Not only is your home at risk, but also your possessions and, in some cases, your life. While house fires can happen for many reasons, some everyday electrical household habits could increase the risk. This article will outline six such habits to be aware of.

8 Common Electrical Household Habits That Could Cause a House Fire

Not Hiring Professional Electrical Services for Installations

Electrical appliances are a common cause of house fires. While most people are aware of the dangers of electrical fires, many still do not take the necessary precautions to prevent them. One of the most common electrical hazards is installing appliances on your own. While it may seem like a simple task, it is often done incorrectly, leading to faulty wiring and overloaded circuits. This can easily lead to a fire, so it is always best to hire electrical services professionals to install any new electrical appliances in your home. When you enlist an electrician for installation, you can be sure the job will be done correctly, and your home will be safer.

Using Extension Cords Improperly

Another common cause of electrical fires is the misuse of extension cords. Many people use extension cords daily, and while they can be handy, they can also be very dangerous if misused. Some common mistakes people make with extension cords include overloading them, using them in wet areas, daisy-chaining them together, or wrapping them around metal objects. Any of these habits can lead to a fire, so it’s essential to be aware of the risks and take precautions to prevent accidents. If you need to use an extension cord, make sure that it is rated for the amount of electricity you are drawing, and never use it in a way that could damage the cord or create a hazard. If you find yourself using an extension cord regularly, it’s best to hire electrical services in Wilmington, NC, to install a permanent solution.

Overloading Outlets

Another common electrical hazard is overloading outlets. It often happens when people use multiple devices in one outlet or plug too many devices into a power strip. While this may not seem like a big deal, it can lead to fires. When an outlet is overloaded, it can cause the wiring to overheat, which can easily lead to a fire. To avoid this, make sure that you only plugin as many devices as the outlet can handle, and never use a power strip for more than its rated capacity. If you regularly need to use multiple devices in one outlet, it’s best to hire an electrician to install additional outlets.

Using Appliances in Wet Areas

Another hazard to be aware of is using electrical appliances in wet areas. It includes using hairdryers, curling irons, or straighteners in the bathroom while the shower is running. It also includes using appliances outdoors during rain or snowstorms. While it may seem convenient to use appliances in these situations, it’s hazardous. Water and electricity do not mix, and using electrical appliances in wet areas can easily lead to fires. To avoid this, make sure that you only use appliances in dry areas and never use them near water.

Ignoring Warning Signs

Another common hazard is ignoring warning signs. It can include things like flickering lights, sparks, or smoke. These are all warning signs that there is a problem with the electrical system, and ignoring them can lead to fires. For example, flickering lights may signify an overloaded circuit, and sparks may be a sign of loose wiring. If you see any of these warning signs, it’s vital to call electrical services in Wilmington, NC, right away to fix the problem before it causes a fire.

Using Damaged Cords

Cords are one of the most commonly used electrical appliances in households. They come in different shapes, sizes, and colors. However, not all cords are created equal. Some cords are made of cheaper materials that are more prone to damage. Over time, these cords can become frayed or damaged, creating a fire hazard. While it may seem like a minor issue, using damaged cords is a standard electrical household habit that could cause a house fire. When cords are damaged, they can create sparks or heat up, igniting nearby materials. In addition, damaged cords can also cause electrical shorts, leading to a fire. To avoid these risks, it’s crucial to inspect your cords regularly and replace them if they are damaged. When you need to replace a cord, make sure to buy one made of high-quality materials and is rated for the amount of electricity you are using. You can consult licensed professionals to find the right cord for your needs.

Failing to Clean

Another hazard that is often overlooked is failing to clean. It includes not cleaning up dust, dirt, or debris from electrical appliances and outlets. Over time, these things can build up and create a fire hazard. When dust or dirt accumulates on electrical appliances, it can cause them to overheat. In addition, when debris builds up in outlets, it can create a fire hazard. To avoid these risks, it’s essential to clean your electrical appliances and outlets regularly. While it may seem like a simple task that you can handle on your own, you’re mistaken. Electrical services professionals should clean electrical appliances and outlets.

Failing to Test

Another common hazard is failing to test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. These devices are essential for keeping your family safe, and they should be tested regularly. Smoke detectors should be tested monthly, and carbon monoxide detectors should be tested annually. If you don’t test these devices, you won’t know if they are working properly. This could lead to a fire in your home that could have been prevented.

Hiring Electrical Services in Wilmington

One of the best ways to prevent electrical fires is to hire electrical services. A qualified electrician can inspect your home’s electrical system and identify potential hazards. They can also make sure that your electrical system is up to code. In addition, electricians can also install smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. If you’re looking for professional electrical services in Wilmington, NC, contact Mister Sparky of Wilmington today. We offer a wide range of electrical services that can help keep your home safe from fires. Give us a call today to learn more about our services.

Photo By Reimar at Shutterstock