Photo By New Africa at Shutterstock
Electrical issues are often high-stakes, not least because you can find that they put your entire home or business at risk. Electrical problems can not only cause electrical damage to wiring and outlets, but they are responsible for approximately 1/3 of structural fires, which can endanger your home, future, and family. When dealing with an electrical emergency, an emergency electrician is an excellent point of contact to help you gain control of your issue.
Reason 1: Outdated Electrical Components.
One of the most common reasons an emergency electrician is called is to deal with an old circuit breaker or old wiring that causes sudden electrical issues. Outdated components can easily overload your home’s wiring, leading to tripped breakers and potential fire hazards. Regular electrical inspections can reduce the likelihood of obsolete electrical components causing an electrician call-out. Nonetheless, you’ll often find an electrician who can quickly, safely, and cost-effectively deal with this for you if the situation suddenly becomes unbearable.
In some Wilmington, NC, homes you may find outdated wiring underneath the floorboards and carpeting. While not an immediate trip hazard, or another type of risk, it could quickly turn into a hazard that requires an emergency electrician, if water leaks, storm damage, or flooding, happens to affect your home. Your local Mister Sparky electrician can help to restructure wiring so that it’s safely out of the way of excess water targeting your home.
Reason 2: Sparking Appliances.
If plugs in your home start sparking when you plug in an appliance, you can rely on an electrician to quickly resolve the danger. Appliances that cause sparking may be old or new, and the fix may be as simple as resetting your power, but it can also involve a more complicated fix. To be sure that the sparking won’t happen the next time you try to plug in an additional appliance, trust a professional emergency plumber to assess the situation and provide you with appropriate guidance.
Modern homes have many more electrical devices in them than they did thirty, twenty, or even just ten years ago. With the rise in smart technology, including smartphones, tablets, high-tech kitchen appliances, entertainment, and audio systems, plus enhanced security features, your Wilmington, NC, home may be filled with more devices than the current electrical circuit can handle. This is especially true if the building is an older one, it may require an emergency electrician to make sure it’s up-to-code.
Reason 3: No Power.
An obvious reason for an electrician call-out, whether it’s during odd hours in the night or in the daytime, is if your home suddenly has no power and you can’t isolate the immediate cause. If your home is the only home in the street with no electricity, it’s less likely to be the fault of a storm and more likely to be an issue that requires the expertise of a professional electrician. Power cuts can be an indication of severe electrical problems that need to be addressed urgently, which is why an electrician is often the first port-of-call if the homeowner cannot return power.
Reason 4: Faulty Outlets.
Less extreme than a full loss of power, a faulty outlet can still be a reason to engage the services of an emergency electrician. Faulty outlets may be linked to one particular wall or room in your home, and the noticeable loss of power can mean you’re restricted in how many appliances you can have plugged in. It can also be an electrical issue that becomes more widespread if left unchecked, which is why an emergency electrician should be tasked with safely isolating and repairing the root cause of the faulty outlet. A professional electrician will also make sure that full electrical testing and safety checks are carried out to prevent the fault from reoccurring where possible.
Top Questions to Ask Your Emergency Electrician
- What are your call-out fees? Make sure you know whether your emergency electrician will charge you extra for attending your home during unsociable hours or if there’s a flat fee associated with call-outs. Make sure the pricing seems reasonable to you before you ask the electrician to attend ASAP.
- How much is the job likely to cost? It can sometimes be impossible to judge the amount of work involved and possible prices without first seeing the extent of the damage. However, at Mister Sparky, we pride ourselves on providing prompt, accurate, and professional results that are worth every penny!
- How quickly can you get to my home? During an emergency, time is often of the essence. An electrical company with a 24/7/365 emergency electrician service will have electricians on standby to ensure quick dispatch of professionals to your home when you need it most. Whether it’s midnight, midday, or the crack of dawn, it can be possible to arrange an immediate appointment.
- Is my home now safe? Perhaps the most crucial question of all, it’s essential to know the answer to this question before the electrician leaves your property. Electricians, just like any electricians, are qualified to undertake inspections and diagnostic tests to confirm when your home is safe after work has been completed.
- Does my issue count as an emergency, or can it wait? Emergency work can involve repairing electrical damage, correcting faulty wiring. In cases where the damage is apparent, e.g., if you can see sparks, smoke, or visible damage, an emergency inspection is recommended. In other cases, serious issues may be hidden. To be on the safe side, we recommend all electrical issues are checked and resolved ASAP.
At Mister Sparky, no emergency is too big or too small for our electricians. Rely on our highly qualified, safe, fast, and friendly staff to deal with your electrical issues appropriately, any time day or night. Call us for professional advice on how to deal with your electrical emergency, and book an immediate service appointment to deal with any concerns.