Photo By AntonioGuillem at istock
We all use electrical appliances on a daily basis, and sometimes homeowners are unlucky and will experience an electrical malfunction. Often these situations are unavoidable. When an electrical emergency happens in the home, it can be dangerous and scary. Many problems are serious and require instant rectification from an emergency electrical service.
While most homeowners are careful when it comes to their electrical devices and systems, unexpected electrical emergencies can sometimes happen. The most common reasons for electrical emergencies include poor wiring or faulty appliances. This can lead to dangers such as electric shocks or fire.
If you live in Wilmington, NC, and are searching for an emergency electrical service, you may like to contact Mister Sparky. The company can deal with all types of electrical emergencies and can also carry out general repairs and maintenance.
To minimize the danger and reduce the risk of severe injury or even death, it’s crucial that everyone possesses a basic knowledge about what to do in the event of an electrical emergency. This article will look at some of the most common electrical emergencies that homeowners face and will tell you what to do to keep you and your family safe.
The Most Common Electrical Emergencies
The most common electrical emergencies that homeowners face are electrical shock and fire caused by a faulty electric system, including burnt wires and sockets. Another common issue is a power outage and fallen power lines.
If your home has been affected by any of these common problems, the best thing to do would be to call in the help of a professional emergency electrical service. A professional will be trained to deal with these types of issues. It would be best if you never tried to fix electrical problems yourself.
There are some things that you can do to help keep yourself safe and keep the situation under control while you wait for an emergency electrical service to arrive.
Power outages are widespread; while the mains electrical system may cause them, they can also indicate a fault with your home’s electrics. When power outages start happening frequently, this is a sign that there’s something wrong with your home’s wiring.
Sometimes power outages are caused due to storms, power line failure, or power shortages. If your home has suffered from a power outage, the first thing you should do is turn off all your electrical appliances. You can do this using the circuit breaker or can turn your main appliances and devices off at the source.
Sometimes you may notice a sudden power fluctuation; this is most common during a storm. When the power unexpectedly surges, this can damage your appliances. During a power outage, the best thing to do is turn off your power and wait it out. You may also like to check with your neighbors to see if they have power. Alternatively, you could call your power distributors to find out what the cause of the situation is and how long you are likely to be without power.
Sometimes electrical sockets, appliances, or devices may give you a minor electrical shock. This could be caused by a wiring issue or may be due to dampness in the electrical sockets. Minor shocks can be easily dealt with by an electrician.
Major electric shocks can be an emergency that will need immediate attention. If one of your family members has been electrocuted, don’t touch them. It’s best to keep your distance from the person who has been electrocuted as they could also pass it on to you. Try not to panic and take steps to avert the situation.
The first thing you should do is call an ambulance and turn the power off in your home at the circuit box. Do this as quickly as possible. Don’t touch or try to turn off the electrical appliance that was involved in the electrocution. Likely, this appliance may still be dangerous.
After you’ve turned off the power at the main supply, you can separate the person from the wiring, device, or appliance if they are still touching it. Do this using an insulating material, such as a rubber mat.
Electrical fires can be very scary and dangerous. These types of fires need to be quickly dealt with as they can spread and are often hard to put out. The most common cause of an electrical fire is due to short-circuiting of the wires. Don’t attempt to put out an electrical fire using water as this is very dangerous. Instead, use a fire blanket or a fire extinguisher. Then call the fire brigade and an emergency electrical service.
Power Line Problems
Sometimes electrical emergencies are caused by fallen power lines. Power lines are used to transport electricity to your home. When these power lines are disrupted, they can become very dangerous. If you notice a fallen power line in your neighborhood, it’s crucial to take action immediately.
Power lines can fall for various reasons but are most commonly damaged by storms or fallen trees. It would help if you always stayed away from fallen power lines. Don’t try to drive towards them or over them and keep other people away from the area. If you have power line problems in your area, call an emergency electrical service or the emergency services.
Mister Sparky, Emergency Electrical Service
If you live in Wilmington, NC, or the surrounding area and are looking for an emergency electrical service, you may like to contact Mister Sparky. The company can deal with all types of electrical emergencies and can also carry out general repairs and maintenance.
Mister Sparky is a BBB accredited business, providing excellent value for money and efficient service. They only employ highly qualified staff who keep up to date with current technologies.
If you require an emergency electrical service, contact Mister Sparky of Wilmington today on 843-213-6610 for a free quote.