Photo By photovs at istock
Natural gas appliances are popular in many homes in Wilmington, NC. An abundant supply of natural gas in the United States means that this resource is likely to be available at stable prices for a long time. Gas appliances are a good investment, but it’s important to maintain that investment with help from gas appliance repair services.
Maintain Air Quality
Cooking on gas stoves can release pollutants into the air inside your home. Toxic pollutants include nitrogen dioxide and carbon dioxide. The EPA sets standards for outdoor air, but the air inside homes with gas stoves can sometimes reach 50% to 400% of the air pollutants found outdoors. This means that the air inside the home could be over the legal limit for pollution levels outdoors.
Appropriate ventilation and filtration can let you use gas stoves safely. Consult professional gas appliance repair services to make sure your stove is functioning correctly. This is especially important for homes with small children because their respiratory systems are still developing and they breathe faster than adults. Smaller body size means children may be affected by air pollution before adults if a problem exists.
Hot water heaters are an essential part of our homes in Wilmington, NC. Many of us don’t think about this particular appliance very often, but we notice it immediately when something goes wrong. Water heaters may seem like simple appliances, but it’s quite easy to do something dangerous during home repairs. Mistakes could lead to hot water spraying everywhere and damaged furniture, flooring, or electronics. Gas water heaters may release carbon monoxide into the home without proper installation, and an improperly installed water heater could even let natural gas accumulate and cause a fire or explosion. It’s best to leave hot water heater repair or replacement to gas appliance repair service professionals. Sometimes the problem with malfunctioning appliances isn’t obvious. If the burner on your stove isn’t working and you see fewer flames than normal, you may need to scrub the burner. Make sure that nothing is clogging the burner and blocking gas. Drips and spills while cooking can be problematic, especially if they’re baked on. The best way to avoid this is to clean your stove after each use, but this may be more involved than simply wiping the surface. If removing dirt and old, dry food doesn’t improve the situation, it may be time to call for gas appliance repair services.
Venting and Fire Hazards
Venting is one of the most important reasons to consult professional gas appliance repair services. A yearly inspection to ensure proper ventilation for your gas appliances helps keep your family healthy, especially for appliances in enclosed areas such as utility rooms, closets, or secluded nooks and crannies. It is absolutely essential to make sure that gas appliances can vent properly and an abundant supply of fresh air can circulate through your home. Professional technicians make sure the exhaust and vents are in good repair and check for potential damage, such as rust, holes or cracks. Clogged or blocked vents can let carbon monoxide build up in your home. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that space heaters are responsible for up to 43% of house fires related to heating every year. Space heaters that use natural gas can also release carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen dioxide. This means that proper venting is absolutely essential to avoid injury or fatalities. A space heater should only be used at a safe distance from any flammable materials, including curtains, bedding, laundry, or furniture. Gas-powered space heaters and fireplaces are frequently viewed with less concern than larger appliances. This is a very risky perspective. Even small natural gas appliances must be handled and installed carefully with ventilation and fresh air.
Carbon Monoxide Risks
Homeowners should always consult gas appliance repair service providers to handle furnace installation or repair. The risks are too great to justify DIY attempts. One mistake can put a home and family in jeopardy from fire, gas leaks, or carbon monoxide poisoning. Even if DIY repairs don’t result in disaster, they can ultimately cost more money if an HVAC system is damaged and needs professional attention anyway. Professional gas appliance and repair service technicians have the education and experience to evaluate the entire HVAC system and check for gas line leaves, overheating, and other risk factors. They may notice problems that inexperienced homeowners could overlook. Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most dangerous risks of gas-powered furnaces and other appliances. The colorless, odorless gas replaces oxygen in circulating blood cells. CO binds more tightly than oxygen, which means that simply leaving the area or accessing oxygen therapy may not be enough to overcome severe CO exposure. It is not an easy condition to treat, and people can die in their sleep without ever realizing a CO leak has occurred. Every home should have carbon monoxide detectors, but this precaution isn’t enough on its own. You should put fresh batteries in your CO detectors and have them tested on a regular basis.
Warranties and Property Value
Warranties don’t always come to mind immediately when we think of appliances, but it’s important to remember that DIY repairs can void warranties. Many manufacturers include caveats that void warranties if repairs aren’t performed by certified gas appliance repair service professionals. Amateur HVAC repairs can also make it more difficult to sell a home in Wilmington, NC, at a later date. Many potential buyers looking for a well-maintained home prefer to see documentation from certified HVAC and gas appliance repair service technicians instead of a log of amateur repairs or installations. Buyers may or may not choose to have a professional inspection done at their own cost, so there is always a chance that they could choose a different property that already has certified maintenance records.
Contact Mister Sparky of Wilmington for any issues with your HVAC system or natural gas appliances. Hiring a gas appliance repair service professional is the most important and effective precaution to keep your family safe with gas-powered furnaces and appliances.