Photo By Natalija Rajsic at Shutterstock
Most people use their homes’ electrics from the moment they wake up in the morning. You’ll likely be awoken to an electric alarm clock, or your cell phone that’s charged by electricity will wake you up. You’ll then use electricity throughout the day until you switch off your lights and devices and go to bed and if it’s not working properly electrical repair is needed immediately.
If you live in Wilmington, NC, or the surrounding area and are looking for an electrical repair service, you may like to contact Mister Sparky. The company is a long-running electric repair service that’s available for all types of maintenance and installation.
It’s likely that you’ll take your home’s electricity system for granted until something goes wrong. Each day volts of electricity will course through your home to be used in lights, devices, and appliances. It’s not until a fuse trips, or you need to have a new outlet installed, or a power line comes down due to a storm and causes a power outage that you need the help of an electrical repair service. This article will look at the dangers of electricity and what you can do to keep your family and home safe. We’ll also give you advice about when to call in an electrical repair service.
The dangers of electricity
Electricity can be very dangerous, especially if you come into direct contact with electricity. Electricity can cause electric shocks, which can lead to burns, or in the worse cases, can be fatal.
Electrical appliances that are faulty can cause house fires and even explosions. It’s therefore essential to have your home’s electric system regularly serviced and maintained. Millions of people may be at risk of injury or death due to their ignorance about electricity and electrical repair. Many people are careless when it comes to electricity, and some even use faulty sockets knowingly or are ignoring burning smells in their homes.
Many homeowners make mistakes, such as covering lamps and heaters or using electronic devices and appliances too close to the bath. Remember that water and electricity don’t mix. Others leave cords lying around, and these present a tripping hazard. Cords left lying around are also dangerous to young children and can be chewed by pets. Most electrical accidents can be easily prevented by paying attention to how you’re using your electronics.
How to stay safe in the kitchen
Kitchens have more electrical appliances than any other room in the home. They also have the added danger of a water supply as well as cooking equipment. This mixture can, if you’re not careful, have deadly consequences.
Modern kitchens have become more crowded with electrical appliances, from dishwashers to toasty makers, blenders, and waffle makers. This has increased the risk of things going wrong. There are a few precautions you can take to make your kitchen safer:
It’s essential to keep your electrical cables away from water sources, as well as from the oven. Ensure that you don’t overload your power outlets. It’s best only to put one plugin in each socket. This is crucial for appliances that you’re regularly using, and that consumes large amounts of electricity.
It would also help if you keep your electrical appliances such as the oven, grill, and hobs clean. Electrical appliances will be more likely to catch fire if there’s a build-up of grease or food particles. When cleaning a toaster, don’t insert metal objects such as knives, as this can be very dangerous. Instead, turn off the power to the toaster and use wooden tongs to get your toast out.
Fridges and freezers should be defrosted at least once a year to keep them in good working order. You can also inspect all your electrical appliances, to check that they don’t have frayed cords. Also, look at the power outlets to check that there are no scorch marks. If you notice any problems, you can call in the help of an electrical repair company as soon as possible. Don’t continue using plugs, sockets, or appliances that are faulty or damaged.
Plug your large appliances that use the most electrical energy into a wall socket rather than an extension strip. Appliances such as washing machines, dryers, fridges, and freezers should all have their own power outlet.
It would also be a good idea to keep appliances that create heat away from flammable materials such as curtains or paper towels. Toasters, toasty makers, heaters, and coffee makers are more likely to cause a fire than any other electrical appliance. It’s also a good idea to keep wet or damp items such as sponges, tea cloths, and pot plants away from your electrics.
If you have an extractor fan in your kitchen, you should try to keep it clear of dust and grease.
Avoid electrical DIY
When it comes to your home’s electrics, DIY is never a good idea. Electric DIY can lead to severe injury and even death. Instead of attempting DIY, you can call on the help of an electrical repair service.
Electrical safety for children
If you have young children, it’s a good idea to childproof your home. You should pay particular attention to power outlets and appliances. Sometimes children are curious about electrics, which can lead to severe injury due to prodding at power outlets or biting cables. To reduce your child’s chance of suffering from an electrical injury, you can childproof your home and teach them electrical safety.
It’s a good idea to cover your power outlets with a socket guard. These can be bought cheaply and are readily available. You can also position lamps and other appliances so that the cords are out of reach of children. Teach your children not to pull on power cables.
If you live near power lines, teach your children about the dangers they can cause. Don’t let them play near power lines and when flying a kite, teach them to stay away from overhead cables.
Mister Sparky, Electrical Repair
If you live in Wilmington, NC, or the surrounding area and are looking for an electrical repair service, don’t hesitate to contact Mister Sparky of Wilmington. The company is a long-running electric repair service that’s available for all types of maintenance and installation.