Seven Silent Clues That Show Your Home Has Major Electrical Problems: Insight From Your Expert Electrical Contractors | Wilmington, NC

Seven Silent Clues That Show Your Home Has Major Electrical Problems: Insight From Your Expert Electrical Contractors | Wilmington, NC

Photo By wattanaphob at istock

Electricity has become an essential part of our lives due to the rapidly evolving technological innovations and inventions. We depend on gadgets such as smartphones and tablets that require a constant power supply to charge. That has resulted in increased consumption of power. Electrical work is disastrous and complicated. Therefore, it is critical to have a professional contractor install the electrical system to protect your home and investment at large. Such firms or technicians have the knowledge and experience to handle any electrical job.

Electricity is susceptible to problems over time. While some issues are loud and easy to notice, others are subtle and may take time to manifest. The latter poses major risks such as fire outbreaks and property damage. Therefore, it is wise to know some of the common signs of a malfunction and when to engage seasoned electrical contractors.

Flickering Lights

It is quite normal for lights to blink. However, if the flickering is severe or it occurs regularly, it may allude to a problem in the electrical system. Also, if the flickering is evident in multiple rooms or bulbs, it could mean something worse. Various things can cause flickering lights. For instance, it could be due to a faulty fixture switch or an appliance using high amounts of current, causing a voltage drop. The culprit could also be a sensory overload on a circuit. Bulbs can become unsteady over time, losing connection with the socket. In the case of flickering lights, homeowners can check whether the bulb is tight. Otherwise, the ideal decision is to seek the services of electrical contractors near you who can identify and solve the issue with expertise.

Heated-Up Outlets

A well-functioning electrical appliance generally produces heat when in operation. However, the electric outlet should not get extremely hot. Outlets can overheat due to many reasons, including an overloaded circuit, loose electric wire, and damaged appliance plugs. Another common warning sign to look out for is an electric spark when you plug-in appliances. Some outlets such as dimmer switches tend to get hotter than their counterparts due to the extra electrical energy used to give the dimming effect. However, they should not be too hot to the touch. Homeowners should unplug any appliance or cord immediately when they notice the heat in an outlet. That will prevent possible dangers such as fire outbursts and shocks. Also, contact local electrical contractors to troubleshoot and conduct repairs accordingly.

A Burning Smell

Another common sign of an electric problem is a burning smell that can sometimes go unnoticed for long periods. A burning smell mainly results from shorting out of an electrical component, causing the wire to draw more current than usual. That heats the outlet and makes the plastic insulation around it to start melting. The situation requires immediate action as it could result in a fire outbreak if ignored. If you notice a burning smell near an outlet, it would be wise to trip off the circuit breaker and remove whatever item is plugged in the outlet. Later, engage with expert electrical contractors to diagnose and sort the issue.

Frequent Power Surges

An electric surge is a temporary wave of a current in an electric circuit. An actual surge is quick and fast, lasting about one microsecond, and can be either negative or positive. Some of the common signs of a power surge include flashing lights and burnt odors. They can stem from various factors, including damaged power lines, faulty appliances, faulty electric wiring, and catastrophic happenings such as lightning. Electric surges can cause damages to the electrical components in the house. At this juncture, remove power boards and devices from the outlets and seek professional help from electrical contractors.

Loose Outlets

Electric outlets are mainly attached to an electric box installed on a wall. However, they loosen over time. Loose outlets are not only annoying but also dangerous as they can disrupt the flow of current, resulting in fire hazards. Luckily, it is easy to fix a loose outlet by switching off the circuit to the broken outlet and unscrewing the receptacle from the housing box. However, the wiring might have damages, and working on the issue yourself might put you in danger of electrocution. That’s why DIY fixes are not advisable when it comes to electricity. Always get help from electrical contractors in Wilmington, NC, to fix or replace the outlet.

Escalating Electric Bills

Another common sign of an electric system problem is a consistent increase in energy bills. Issues such as faulty wiring can cause appliances to consume extra electricity or electricity leakage. A problematic meter can also increase energy bills if it continues reading, even when the electricity is not on. Homeowners i can consider contacting electricians to identify the cause of the rising energy bills. That will save you money in the long run. Besides, you should adopt practices such as unplugging chargers and appliances when not in use and regular maintenance services, and that will go a long way in saving you some utility bills and money used on frequent repairs.

Old Wiring

Some homeowners ignore the electric system until they experience a shock or hear a flickering sound. Over time, parts of the electric system such as the wiring deteriorate, posing major risks. The average lifespan of an electric wire is 25 years. However, that depends on various factors, including usage, the manufacturer, and installation. Old wiring does not necessarily mean that it is unsafe or it needs an immediate replacement. It is paramount to have qualified electrical contractors inspect it to assess its condition and offer expert guidance on the way forward. That will protect you and your family from potential damages such as fire outbreaks and increase the lifespan of home appliances and the electric system at large.

Trust The Expert Electrical Contractors 

If you have been experiencing any of the above warning signs in your home in Wilmington, NC, it is with no doubt that you need professional help from reliable electrical contractors such as Mister Sparky of Wilmington. We offer accurate and timely services, including installations, troubleshooting, repairs, maintenance, and replacements. Our technicians are well trained and knowledgeable in handling a myriad of electrical jobs. Call us today for all your electrical needs, and we will deliver quality service.